Tuesday, March 5, 2013

plum brown

As if we didn't have enough going on after deciding to install hardwood flooring, I also decided on a whim to repaint the playroom (i.e., technically our formal dining, but we're not "formal dining" people, so....).  Actually, we repainted the master bedroom too, but that was always in the plans.  More on that later!

We had visited some friends in St. Louis last summer and their house is ah-mazing!  He is an architect and has an amazing eye for design as well, so I pretty much drool over every.single.thing about their home.



Just a couple of things in particular were 1) their floors and 2) their foyer color.  The foyer color was a rich, beautiful dark color - not quite purple, not quite brown.  It is a Sherwin Williams color called Plum Brown.  I grabbed a chip and compared it to our current color scheme to see how it played in.


Above you can see the plum brown next to our great room color (BM's Camouflage), and to the right our yet-to-be-painted master bedroom color (BM's Silver Half Dollar).  This color is also planned for the kitchen, and because of our open concept, I want them all to mesh well.  I love them all together, so I went ahead and purchased the paint.  After having painted with BM in our great room though, I went ahead and had BM color match it for me.

Going on, to say it was a little different was a HUGE understatement...


Sorry for the blurry photo.  Anyway, once it was up and dried I had this:


I LOVED it!  It was exactly what I was going for.  And yes, the baby sat (and slept) contentedly in that carseat while I painted almost the entire room.  

We've now lived with this color for a little while, and I can say that I still love it just as much as the first day.  The floors are dark also, remember, so I was looking forward to getting lighter furniture in the room, a rug and art on the walls to brighten things up.  After now having that done also, we want to brighten it further, so we've decided to go ahead and put board and batten on the walls in this room also, which will be good practice for the basement.  That being said, we haven't done anything to "finish" the moulding in this room in the meantime.  

What do you think?  Do you have any bold colors in your home? Where?  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

House and Home{stead} | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012